Concerned about someone - report neglect or abuse

If you are concerned about a vulnerable adult who is at risk of neglect or abuse and lives in County Durham, call Social Care Direct on 03000 267 979.

If the person is in immediate danger call 999 straight away, before contacting Social Care Direct.

There are many situations where a vulnerable adult could be subject to neglect or abuse. If you're worried about someone - report it!

Report abuse

To report abuse you can do any of the following:

  • If the person is in immediate danger, call 999. Remember to say a vulnerable adult is involved.
  • Call Social Care Direct on 03000 267 979. An officer will listen carefully to what you say, give advice and take a safeguarding referral if necessary, even when the caller wishes to remain anonymous. The officer will take prompt action if the adult is in immediate danger.
  • If you are a patient or visitor to a hospital or other health setting, you should immediately report your concerns to a member of staff.

Domestic abuse

If you're concerned about domestic abuse, find out more on our Domestic abuse pages.

The worst thing you can do is nothing.