Accommodation - choosing somewhere to live

If someone needs care and support to maintain their health and welfare, it may not be an option to live independently. Find details of different accommodation options such as nursing and care homes, sheltered housing and what you need to do to access them.


Residential or care homes

Care homes provide personal care and support including meals and help with washing and dressing.

If you cannot fund your own care and you think you need residential care, you will need an assessment by a social worker. 

You may find our Factsheet: Information for people considering moving into residential or nursing care helpful.

Nursing homes

Nursing homes are similar to care homes but also provide 24 hour professional nursing care. 

If you cannot fund your own care and think you need nursing care, you will need an assessment by a social worker and a registered nurse. Your social worker will help you find a nursing home which meets your care needs. 

The factsheet listed above may also be helpful.

Extra Care housing

Extra Care offers an alternative to moving into a care home.

If you're eligible, you can have your own flat, in a specially designed housing complex, with 24 hour care and support on site. You will have a tenancy agreement and will need to contribute towards your care costs.

Find details of Extra Care housing in our Extra Care section and in our Factsheet: Extra Care (PDF, 379kb opens in a new window).

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is provided for people over the age of 60 to help them lead an independent life. It is usually a collection of flats and bungalows linked by an intercom system to a resident warden. In schemes where there is no warden, the properties are linked to a control centre.

Your local housing association can provide details of schemes in your area.

Housing for adults with learning disabilities

Shared Lives scheme

This scheme offers short-term, long-term or emergency care by people known as shared lives providers. It provides a safe home for the individual involved, protects their rights and independence and can encourage the development of new skills.

Supported living

Supported living, sometimes called supported housing, offers adults with a disability an alternative to moving into a care home.

If you're eligible, you'll be given accommodation with on-site care and support, including personal care, which is let to you as part of a tenancy agreement with a housing provider. 

Find out more about our care and support services.

Related information